95 Theses Against Dispensationalism (Updated)
Thanks to Albert for leading me to a thorough refutation of dispensational premillennialism (DP): “The Ninety-Five Theses Against Dispensationalism” written by Dr. Robert L. Reymond for NiceneCouncil.com in their Website AgainstDispensationalism.com. DP is a system that popularized the Secret Rapture, Left Behind, millennium, Israel the chosen people even in the New Testament, etc.
Here’s an outline of this modern-day 95 Theses:
- 1-8: Dispensationalism is contrary to the apostolic faith and ancient creeds.
- 9-20: Dispensationalism is contrary to the unity of God’s redemptive plan in history.
- 21-36: Dispensationalism’s false “literalism” is contrary to “rightly dividing the word of truth” (2 Tim 2:15).
- 37-41: Dispensationalism says New Testament writers lie about Old Testament prophecies.
- 42-51: Dispensationalism wrongly divides the people of God by putting a “wall of hostility” between Jews and Gentiles (Eph 2:11-18).
- 52-83: Dispensationalism has spawned weird and insane eschatological views, such as date-setting, double Second Comings, rebuilding of the Jerusalem Temple, restoring animal sacrifices, Christ reigning for 1,000 years over a mixture of glorified saints and unresurrected sinners, unconditional support for the “chosen nation” Israel, etc.
- 84-88: Dispensationalism encourages Christians to be pessimistic and to disengage from the culture.
- 89-95: Dispensationalism encourages antinomianism.
To those of you who are married to this thoroughly unbiblical system: consider reading these theses while you search the Scriptures, not the newspapers’ sensationalism or the foolishness of “The Rapture Index.” Let us â€œsearch the Scriptures daily, to see whether these things are so,â€ like the Bereans did 2,000 years ago.
Against Dispensationalism: a Response to John MacArthur (who of “Why Every Self-Respecting Calvinist Should Be Premillennialist” fame)Â byÂ G.J. Harloff of NiceneCouncil.com.
Dr. John MacArthur is a well known and respected Bible teacher of today. His ministry has impacted many people and even the lives of those of us in this ministry. However there is a major disagreement with Dr. MacArthur when it comes to issues of the Church and Israel. Dr. Gary Harloff takes a small booklet to respond to Dr. MacArthurâ€™s questions concerning biblical proof the the Old Testament Israel is the Church and that the New Testament Church is Israel.
My Favorite Eschatology Books
Beale, G. K. 1-2 Thessalonians. IVP New Testament Commentary Series. Downers Grove, IL: IVPress, 2003.
_________. The Book of Revelation: A Commentary on the Greek Text (New International Greek Testament Commentary. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1998.
Demar, Gary. Last Days Madness: Obsession of the Modern Church. Atlanta: American Vision, 1999.
Johnson, Dennis E. Triumph of the Lamb. Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R, 2001.
Hoekema, Anthony. The Bible and the Future. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1994.
Koester, Craig R. Revelation and the End of All Things. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2001.
Mathison, Keith. From Age to Age: The Unfolding of Biblical Eschatology. Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R, 2009.
Poythress, Vern S. The Returning King. Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R, 2000. (This book is published online by permission of publisher.)
Riddlebarger, Kim. The Man of Sin: Uncovering the Truth About the Antichrist. Grand Rapids: Baker, June 2006.
Venema, Cornelis. The Promise of the Future. Carlisle, PA: Banner of Truth, 2000.
Powered by Facebook Comments