Next Tuesday, every American citizen has the right and responsibility of voting. As a Christian, I would vote for a candidate or a proposition that support most, if not all, of the following:
- Pro-life over pro-choice. Abortion as practiced today is a scandal and a grievous sin. We need laws to protect the right to life of the unborn (Exo 20:13; Psa 51:5; 139:13-16).
- Marriage exclusively between a man and a woman (Gen 1:27; 2:24). Like all other disobedience against God’s commandments, homosexual desires and actions are a result of the Fall and are sinful (Lev 18:22; Rom 1:26-27; 1 Cor 6:9-10).
- Freedoms of speech and religion. Jesus commanded his disciples to preach the gospel to the whole world (Matt 28:19), because the truths of the gospel will set a believer free (John 8:32). God set the Israelites free from slavery in Egypt, so they could worship him freely (Exo 3:12).
- All human beings are created equal and in the image of God (Gen 1:26-27). Therefore, the gospel is to be preached to all nations without distinction and partiality. God saves people from all nations, tribes and languages of the world (Acts 15:9; Col 2:25; Jas 2:1; Rev 5:9).
- Immigration laws that protect the nation from evildoers. Illegal immigration must be curtailed. All nations in Biblical history protected their borders in self-defense, as all nations still do today. “Sanctuary cities” are a misapplication of Biblical texts (see “A Brief Theology of Aliens, Strangers and Pilgrims”).
- Limited government and taxation. God instituted governments in all nations, including taxation (Matt 22:21; 1 Tim 2:1-2; Rom 13:1-2). But the responsibilities of rulers are limited to punishing evildoers and rewarding those who do good (Rom 13:3-5). Unjust and excessive taxation are evil and are condemned (Matt 18:17; Luke 19:8). And the government must not encroach upon family life and church affairs. When the Israelites asked God to give them a king, God warned them through the prophet Samuel of all kinds of evil excesses that a powerful and big government will eventually do (1 Sam 8:10-18).
- Death penalty. After Noah’s flood, God declared to Noah, and to all his descendants: “Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image” (Gen 9:6). God instituted governments to wield “the sword” against evildoers, especially murderers in the first degree (Rom 13:4).
7 Critical Issues for a Christian Voter in 2018